Island House was a hotel annex of Hotel Wachapreague on the mainland in the town of Wachapreague. The purpose of the hotel annex on Cedar Island was for summer vacations off the mainland. You could stay ½ day, full day or overnight lodging, mainly for fishing and hunting excursions. Very often it was the men that stayed at the hotel annex, “Island House”. The women would stay on the mainland at Hotel Wachapreague, enjoying the veranda porch and socializing in town.
Lifesaving Station built in 1912
In 1915 Lifesaving Service Station was out of service and out of business, the service turned into a Coast Guard Station.
Also known as Life Saver Andrew Doughty
Saving boat/surf boat1920, designed to launch in surf during rough weather. Wheel trailer drawn by horses.
Saving boat/surf boat, “Keepers” aka Surfmen (full time crew), lived at lifesaving Service Station where they practiced different drills each day of the week to maintain “Keepers” skills for any given scenario of maritime disaster.
Accomac Club Complex
Built in 1870, destroyed in storm of 1933. Gun and Fishing Club built on high marsh land before you get out to Cedar Island and Parramore Island. The high marsh land was bulk headed and filled with oyster shell which then maintained a whole complex included boat house far left, a club house center, caretaker home far right.
An inside picture of dining room, see guns on wall.
Wachapreague commercial fishing fleet
1950 Day Trippers
1950 Day Trippers going out to Cedar Island on Mears & Powell oyster barge. Boat name CALTAH, named for grandchildren, Cathey Bell, Amy Lou Sandidge, Tim Killmon, Andy Killmon and Henley Sandidge.
1902 – Hotel Wachapreague 52 rooms. Fire destroyed historical hotel in 1978. Hotel Wachapreague, had a long history of rich and famous, starlets to presidents, came to this area to enjoy sport hunting, fishing and relaxing town life. The amenitites that Hotel Wachapreague offered, billards, dining, and other town entertainment including a bowling alley, movie theater, shops and thriving waterfront.
Hotel Wachapreague, with Model T cars parked in front of hotel.
Bernie Metcalf started working at Hotel Wachapreague as a bell hop at age 9 and stayed until the hotel was sold by Mears family 1902–74.
1918 Movie house and attached soda fountain shop (soda shop to the right).
Oyster shucking houses lined the waterfront of Wachapreague.